Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Between Her and the Stars

Listening to music - one of my favorite things to do when creating jewelry, cooking, sipping a glass of wine, messing around the house, you name it. I'm continually inspired by other artists, especially those whose medium is the spoken and written word. I'm a word nerd, I can't help it.



When I'm creating jewelry, many times a song lyric or a phrase from a novel will pop into my head. I often wake up with phrases floating around in my skull like a song stuck on repeat. I've made a habit of naming each of my pieces. I find it gives them a soul to inhabit, an identity, a purpose.
 
 






These particular earrings are a bit of a departure for me in that they are PINK...well, as close to pink as I'll probably ever get. They have a visceral, dreamy, desperate bleeding heart romantic quality to them. Their title was inspired by a These Immortal Souls lyric:

"Plot me a course
By Pluto and Mars
To a vanishing point
Between her and the stars"




Art inspires art inspires art...components from several crazy talented bead artists (Kimberly Rogers, Xaz Bead Company, and Diane Hawkey), music from one hell of a talented band, and jewelry from my two little hands. And the circle continues.

Have a great week <3
Nikki
LoveRoot on Etsy

15 comments:

  1. Nice to hear the story behind the names of your pieces. Something I tend to fall short on after I design. You succeeded in making these the most earthy pink and those beads all look delighted to be in each other's company. I will speak for the top ones at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the only person who makes pink that I can work with!! <3

      Delete
  2. The funny thing about truly talented people is they make it look so easy. But it's not. I hear those songs, too, and there are no words floating around in my head. I can buy or make beads, but they never come together like this. And you have this way of putting all those things together...the beads, the wires, the words...in just the right way. And that makes me, and a whole lotta other people, very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments always make me feel so unworthy - you do have a way with words, whether you know it or not :) And as for your beads, you've really been on to something with your latest batch of organic rustic pieces. Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  3. Love reading the process Nikki! I happen to love pink- has been my favorite color off & on since I was just a little girl. But these are amazing! Very much a grown-up pink for the earthy-girl. (me!) thank you for sharing! ~ Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grown-up pink, I like that description! Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  4. I've always wondered where you come up with those great names for your pieces! They really suit the depth and mysteriousness (is that a word??) of your work. Your creations have a poetic, lyrical quality, so the titles are a match made in heaven! I love seeing little flashes of insight into others' creative processes. Thanks for that! - Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I'm glad there are others who appreciate the naming aspect...it just wouldn't feel right not giving each piece an identity.

      Delete
  5. And your art is beautiful!

    Gigi @ Old World Patina

    ReplyDelete
  6. earthy, rustic, ancient looking with a hint of barbed wire (a nod to farm country) in your photography layout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your version of "pink"! It's sort of an alpenglow kind of pink, with some crust on it. RIGHT ON.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cool Nikki! Love them, and the earthiness they capture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post - I always struggle so much with names, despite being a word-nerd myself. And, of course, your earrings are marvellous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No matter what you call these, they are super cool! Love their color, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much, everyone! <3

    ReplyDelete